When: 29 Jun 2017 to 1 Jul 2017
Where: Mazagan Beach and Golf resort, Al Jadida, Morocco
Title of the Campus:
Sustainable Urban Management: Empowerment of local governance and citizen participation
Description of the Campus
As lead partner in the World Urban Compaign, AUA first URBAN THINKERS CAMPUS will take place in Aljadida Town in Morocco organized by the Order of Architects of Morocco and supported by AUA partner CGLU Afrique – UCLG Africa. The campus will help in reflecting on Sustainable Urban management, Good governance and Citizen participation in African Cities. Practitioners and participants will discuss modes of collaborative actions and community oriented planning’s processes. From different fields, they will exchange experiences and transfer urban knowledge from one city to another. The UTC will open the debate on urban development approaches between theory and practice.
- Welcome and opening plenary session
- Series of lectures on urban local governance: concepts, experiences and challenges
- Multi-disciplinary workshops including community representatives to discuss local governance empowerment modalities and participatory approaches
- Presentation of roundtables outcomes and elaboration of recommendations on local government empowerment and capacity building Agenda.
- Opening a regional online platform to widen the scope of the discussion and debate on different issues related to cities planning and participation
- Azedin Nekmouche, President, Notional Council of the Order of Architects of Morocco, Morocco
- Amine Turki, Secretary General, Africa Union of Architects (AUA)
- Najat Zarrouk, Director, African Local GovernmentsAcademy (ALGA)
Africa Union of Architects (AUA), as lead partner with the World Urban Campaign coordinated by UN-Habitat, is organizing 3 additional Urban Thinker Campuses in Africa:
- August 2017 │URBAN THINKER CAMPUS: Johannesburg, South Africa│Sustainable Urban Management: Integrated Infrastructure Planning and Communities’ welfare
- October 2017 URBAN THINKER CAMPUS: Dakar, Senegal│Slum Upgrading and Slum Eradication: Experiences, Lessons and Future Solutions
- November 2017 URBAN THINKER CAMPUS: Brazzaville, Congo│Urban Planning between Practice and Research + Synthesis of AUA Urban Thinkers Campuses and Preparation of AUA Agenda for Sustainable Cities
WUC Lead Partner Organization Hosting the Campus
The Africa Union of Architects was inaugurated in Nigeria on May 23 1981 by his Excellency Alhaji Shehu Shagari, former President of Nigeria , to unite architects from all over the continent regardless of nationality, race, religion or doctrine, and to federate their national organizations.
Initially the AUA was made up of delegations from 23 countries. Today, it regroups the key professional organizations in 27 countries, thereby representing nearly 35000 architects.
In parallel with the development of major intergovernmental institutions with which it maintains close relations, the AUA has become an accomplished non governmental organization and an incomparable professional network of architects.
The AUA was granted observer status vide resolution CM/RES 1116, adopted by the OAU Council of Ministers meeting in its 46th ordinary session in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia from 20th-25th July 1987.
The National Order of Architects of Maroc is endowed with legal personality. Its mission is to safeguard the principles and traditions of morality, dignity and probity which honor the profession of architect and to ensure that its members respect the laws, regulations and practices governing the “Exercise of the profession¨.
The UCLG AFRICA is the umbrella organization and the united voice and representative of local government in Africa. It results from the unification of the three pre-existing continental groupings of local governments,namely the African Union of Local Authorities (AULA), the Union des Villes Africaines (UVA) and the Africa Chapter of the Unao dos Ciudades y Capitaes Lusofono Africana, (UCCL AFRICA).It is an institution that gathers 40 national associations of local governments from all regions of Africa as well as the 2000 cities that have more than 100.000 inhabitants. Therefore UCLG AFRICA represents nearly 350 million Africans citizens.
The World Urban Campaign (WUC) is an advocacy and partnership platform to raise awareness about positive urban change in order to achieve green, productive, safe, healthy, inclusive, and well planned cities. Its goal is to place the Urban Agenda at the highest level in development policies. It is coordinated by UN-Habitat and driven by a large number of committed partners – currently 136 partners and networks – from around the world.
For further information
For further information about the event, visit the official website.
For further information about the World Urban Campaign, visit the official website or connect them on Facebook on: @urbancampaign
To know more about the implementation of the New Urban Agenda, the global vision on the future of cities adopted in October, 2016, visit the official website.