- Registration opens in April 2018
- Early Registration (April 1st–June 1st): 50 USD
- Regular Registration (June 2nd–October 1st): 75 USD
- Late Registration (October 2nd–November 1st): 100 USD
- Project submission deadline: November 2nd, 2018
- Jury deliberation: November, 2018
- Winners’ announcement: December 1st, 2018
UTC time zone for all dates.
Laka Competition 2018 “Architecture that Reacts”
Laka invites designers from around the world to submit their ideas of ‘architecture that reacts.’ The main focus of the competition is on the solutions that develop through a process of changes and adjustments. The subject of the competition is architectural, design, or technological solutions that are capable of dynamic interaction with their surroundings.
The participants are free to decide the project’s location, scale, size, and program.
Listed below are some highlighted issues that the jury will pay attention to:
- a properly indicated architectural, social, or environmental issue to solve
- an accurate analysis of the selected issue
- a properly chosen solution that “reacts” to the indicated issue
Listed below are some issues that explain the concept of “Architecture that Reacts”:
- an ability to respond to social, economic, or environmental changes
- a level of social and environmental engagement of the design
- a relationship to a specific social, natural, and built context
- a level of flexibility and adaptability of the design
- an innovative use of technology and sustainable systems
- a level of self-sufficiency of the design
Three main prizes and approximately ten honorable mentions will be selected.
1) Laureates of the main prizes will be:
- awarded 1000 USD per team and
- invited to join the ‘Laka Perspectives’ book vol. 2.
2) Laureates of the main prizes and honorable mentions will be:
- provided with feedback on their designs by selected experts from the Laka Accelerator,
- presented on Laka’s websites and promoted among Laka’s network of partners, and
- included in future Laka publications related to the competition.
Laureates of the main prizes will be invited to join the ‘Laka Perspectives’ book vol. 2 among such leaders as Toyo Ito (Laureate of the Pritzker Prize 2013 and UIA Gold Medal in 2017, Founder of Toyo Ito & Associates), Carlo Ratti (Director of the Senseable City Lab at MIT, Founder of Carlo Ratti Associati), Peter Kuczia (Founder of Kuczia Architects), Elizabeth Monoian and Robert Ferry (Founding Partners of Land Art Generator Initiative), and Kamil Łabanowicz (Team Leader at AUDI AG).
Join the Competition
We invite architects, students, engineers, biologists, sociologists, designers, thinkers, companies, organizations and everyone interested in the mission of the competition to submit their ideas. No professional qualifications are necessary.
- Participants may submit multiple projects, but each entry must be registered separately.
- There is no limit as to the number of participants per team.
- Individual entries are allowed.
- Interdisciplinary teams are encouraged to join.
- After your registration has been approved, we will send you a unique number for your team.
- If you haven’t received a confirmation within two business days, please contact us at email@example.com or our Facebook profile.
- The registration number will be necessary to submit your proposal.
- Registration fees support the development of the Laka Competition.
- If your financial situation doesn’t allow you to participate in the competition, please contact us.
- Laka reserves the right to reduce the registration fee for selected participants in difficult financial situations after a positive evaluation of their individual requests.
- Participants must submit their proposals no later than November 2, 2018 (23:59 UTC), to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Laka Competition 2018 Entry” in the subject.
- This is a digital competition, and the boards must be prepared in digital format.
- Hard copies will not be accepted.
Rules and Regulations
- Participants can submit their inquiries to email@example.com.
- All projects must be submitted in English.
- This is an anonymous competition.
- The registration number is the only form of identification.
- The registration fee is non-refundable.
- Contacting the jury is prohibited.
- Entrants will be disqualified if any of the rules and regulations are not followed.
- Laka reserves the right to modify the competition schedule.
- Laureates of main prizes will be asked to provide the written material (an interview, general essay, description of the submission, or something different) within two weeks of their request from Laka. The final form of the written material will be indicated by Laka. The written material should be prepared professionally in American English.
- The organizer pays 10% tax on financial awards in the country of the business
- The organizer reserves the right to increase the value of the financial award.
- All participants must accept the rules and regulations.
Laka is a non-profit organization and an international network focused on positive social impact through responsible design and architecture. The beliefs in the importance of interdisciplinary collaboration and in the potential of creative ideas are the core values of the programs and projects that Laka implements. Laka develops projects and programs that underline the crucial role of architecture and technology in the process of positive social change and development.
- Laka Competition is an international annual competition that seeks innovative ideas in architecture, design, and technology that are capable of reacting and dynamically adjusting to the conditions of the environment (either natural, social, or built).
- ‘Laka Perspectives’ is an award-winning annual publication (first published in January 2018) featuring interviews with the leaders in architecture, urban planning, computational design, digital fabrication, smart materials, mobility, biomimicry, and more.
- Laka Accelerator is an international program that aims to offer opportunities for investigation of the best designs by providing professional consulting and international press coverage.
If you have questions about the competition, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.