Registration deadline: March 1st, 2017
Submission deadline: March 15th, 2017
Jury deliberations: March 16th-31st, 2017
Winners announcement: April 2017, 2017
KENCADA | DBR Call for Entries: KenCada International Ideas Competition
The KenCada International Academy and DBR | Design Build Research Institute presents the KenCada International Ideas Competition, inviting Kenyan, African and International designers to give the students of KenCada a new place to learn and grow.
The environment of a learning space has great effect on the growth, focus and emotions of a student. An effective space has the potential to dynamically influence student learning, as opposed to passively providing a venue for it. Through a flexible, thoughtful design, the building will be a teacher in itself.
KenCada was founded on the conviction that the best in Kenyan education and international 21st Century learning is urgently needed and should be made accessible to all Kenyan children. The challenge is to design a new campus for the KenCada International Academy that will serve as a learning space for its young students in Mombasa, Kenya.
Open to all full-time post-secondary students or professionals. Individual and Team submissions are accepted. Participants may enter one of the following categories:
- LOCAL – Open to all citizens and residents of Kenya, whether in Kenya or abroad.
- REGIONAL – Open to all citizens and residents of all African nations.
- INTERNATIONAL – Open to all around the world.
- March 1st: Registration deadline
- March 15th: Submission deadline
- March 16th-31st: Jury deliberations
- April 2017: Winners announced
- LOCAL | KENYA $2,000.00 CAD
- REGIONAL | AFRICA $2,000.00 CAD
- INTERNATIONAL | GLOBAL $2,000.00 CAD
Please note that this is an ideas competition. No working contract will be guaranteed following the selection of a winner.
- Michael McGuire, Co-founder and Executive Director, KenCada
- Urko Sánchez, fromUrko Sanchez Architects
- Doreen Adengo, from Adengo Architecture
HOW TO ENTER
- Visit the Competition website for more information.
- Register on the Competition website by March 1st, 23:59 EAT (Eastern Africa Time, +0300 GMT)
- Design a new learning space for KenCada.
- Submit your entry on the Competition website by March 15th, 23:59 EAT
(Scroll down the page to find the links).
DBR is a non-profit institute founded to offer a new model for design education and research. The school is dedicated to teaching the design and construction of socially, culturally and environmentally relevant student-led installations. DBR also offers a research platform with a focus in systemic change in building for climate, environment, disaster and global shelter needs.
KenCada educates the whole child and provides distinctive experiences that focus on academic excellence and experiential learning. The KenCada International Academy is a place of knowledge, a school of discovery. An educational experience for Kenya that honors the best practices in pedagogy from around the world.
For further information
For further information about the Competition, check out their website.
To download the Competition Info, click here.
Click here to Register on the Competition
Click here if you want to Submit your entry.
DBR | Design Build Research