When: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Where: Old Boma, corner of sokoine Drive & Morogoro Road, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The Old Boma officially opened to the general public on 30 June 2017. Come and visit our magnificent building, browse through our permanent exhibition depicting the architectural history of Dar es Salaam. Better yet come and take a tour of the city and discover the intrigues of the historical architecture in Dar es Salaam.
What DARCH offers you:
- Exhibition: Permanent Exhibition – A permanent exhibition displaying and describing Dar es salaam city’s history and heritage and its architectural evolution, from the Mzizima fishing village to the present day metropolis.
- Temporary Exhibition – An exhibition space where temporary relevant exhibitions will be mounted and displayed quarterly
- City Tours: A selection of six from which you can chose from.
- Rooftop Restaurant: Breathtaking view of the Indian Ocean and a panoramic view of the city (Opening Soon).
- Space for rent: Workshop space and state of the art board room for daily rent inside the building.
- Curio shop: Selling arts and crafts made in Tanzania by Tanzanian Artisans.
- Public garden: Tranquil green space for people to sit interact and engage or simply take in the sights and sounds of our haven of peace.
A menu with interesting choices for culture enthusiasts and scholarly explorers – But also child friendly and fun:
- COLONIAL ZONES OF DAR ES SALAAM
The tour will expose you to various types of buildings reflective of the zonal dissection of the Dar es Salaam CBD during the colonial era. From the opulent and fancy European buildings, to the commercially inspired Indian/Asian zones structures and the mixed African/Tanzanian quarters. The walking tour is expected to last two and half hours.
- THE EVOLUTION OF THE STREETS OF DAR ES SALAAM
This tour will depict the historical evolution of the street names since the dawn of Dar es Salaam. Names that were inspired by the politics, culture, sentiments of a time gone by, reflective of the thoughts and character of the dwellers of Dar es Salaam at that point in time. The tour is expected to last two hours.
- OLD DAR ES SALAAM MASTER PLAN
This tour will walk you through buildings that appear in the Dar es salaam First master plan of 1891 drawn up by German Colonial Administration. The tour is expected to last 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- FALLEN BUILDINGS
This tour is a window into historical buildings that have been demolished from the early colonial era to date, and a description of the structures that have been built in their place. This tour is expected to last two hours.
- NEW VS OLD
This tour will expose you to areas in the city within the “conservation/preservation zone” where the old and new buildings co-exist side by side. Making for an interesting juxtaposition of differences in style, dimension, building materials used etc.
- TEXTILE TOUR
The Swahili culture has much to offer, from history and meaning of the Khanga, Vitenge, Hijab and the beautiful Heena drawings on women. Ethnic jewellery and accessories! All this and more on textile tour!
The Dar es Salaam Centre for Architectural Heritage (DARCH) is a non-profit company that aims at saving and promoting historical architecture in Dar es Salaam and the wider East African context through research and documentation, education & professional training, community outreach and public cultural events.
DARCH! is located in the Old Boma -presumably Dar’s oldest building, renovated to the highest international standards making it a showcase of sustainable conservation, attesting to an approach towards built heritage that is innovative, integrated, sensitive and developmental, understanding heritage as a living and constantly transforming asset – a key driver and catalyst for economic, social, cultural and political innovation and reinvention.
For further information
For further information about DARCH, visit the Official Website.